When it comes to decorating, my style is to stick with neutrals for the furniture and have the colorful accents do the talking. Colorful pieces give that pop and pizzazz and let your personality shine, especially when set against a crisp, white background. Throw pillows + fresh cut flowers are my go-to decor, it’s incredible what a burst of color and the sweet perfume of flowers can do to elevate a room and your mood! Seasonal Affective Disorder, meet your match.
St. Patrick’s Day is less than week away and I’ll be pulling out my green to celebrate! J. Crew isn’t exaggerating when they named this top “The Perfect Shirt” because it truly is. It gives you a flattering silhouette whether tucked into a pencil skirt or paired with jeans (hopefully shorts soon!). Bonus: J. Crew monogramming is only $10!
Are you ready to wear your green this weekend?
* * *
With Saturday’s forecast bright + sunny, I cannot wait to throw on a pair of sunnies for a patio brunch and keep my windows wide open to catch a beautiful breeze. What are your plans this weekend?
2. Unwind with a luxurious perfumed bubble bath.
4. Whip up a guilt-free treat with Giada’s Feel Good Food.
5. Make peace with your linen closet once and for all with my girl Martha’s trick to fold a fitted sheet.
* * *
With St. Patrick’s Day quickly approaching, I don’t want anyone to be caught off guard and without a festive drink! Check out Bailey’s for fun ideas on cocktails to pair with your wearing o’ the green.
Bailey’s Martini // Mudslide // Espresso Martini // Irish Coffee
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single girl in possession of a new apartment must be in want of glitter. Okay maybe I’m embellished one of my favorite Jane Austen lines (comment if you know the original!!) but it’s true. I had a fever and the only prescription…was more glitter. I’ve been styling my IKEA Expedit and I knew I wanted a bright statement piece in one of the units. Something to give it pizzazz and pop. I found the “JOY” in a post-Christmas sale at JoAnn Fabrics for less than $5!! The original birch look was too seasonal and I was dying to break out my gold glitter. This DIY was super easy and took about 5 minutes to complete!
I spread my supplies out on my living room floor over an old bedsheet and got to work! I coated my “JOY” with a healthy layer of glue and then simply shook the gold glitter over the letters, ensuring they were completely covered. Let the piece dry for at least 24 hours. I recommend after 24 hours you carefully pick up the piece and give it a few taps to get rid of loose glitter. Voila! You have a new statement piece for your entry way table, mantle or shelf.
* * *
Growing up going to Catholic school, Lent + Easter were always significant events in my memories. I remember the existential struggle of figuring out what to give up for Lent at age 8. In case you’re wondering, I gave up chocolate and the next day, my mother won a chocolate lovers’ basket at a charity auction. And I couldn’t understand why I was being tested in such a harsh fashion.
The best part of this season is Fat Tuesday. My mother’s side of the family is Polish and every year, my Polish grandma would pick up paczki: traditional Polish donuts with red raspberry filling and sprinkled with powdered sugar from a bakery several streets from her house. If you want to know where my love of donuts come from, it’s from my grandma.
Over the weekend while grocery shopping, I spotted paczki so naturally I had to bring these delicious donuts home with me to celebrate! Paczki is a taste of home and a perfectly acceptable meal before Ash Wednesday.
I might try my hand at baking this Polish delicacy in the future but in the mean time, here’s a recipe.
* * *
I read a variety of blogs on a regular basis, mostly in the realm of style + DIY. After I signed the lease for my new place, I began delving into home design blogs like Design Sponge and Apartment Therapy. Since then I’ve been keeping a list of favorite decor pieces and brainstorming ways to add my style to my new place. I am so close to finishing my apartment decor and next on the list is my bar cart.
* * *
For most of 1998-1999, my breakfast wasn’t complete without a cup of hot chocolate, marshmallows strongly encouraged. While my breakfast routine has changed, I still like to keep hot chocolate in my pantry for those chilly mornings and nights. There’s just something so peaceful about wrapping your hands around a hot mug of sweet, indulgent cocoa.
Cocoa Bella generously sent me a sample of their 100% brewed chocolate to try, it was absolutely blissful to curl up before bed with a cup in one hand and a good book in the other. Prepared with a French press, you can sweeten your cocoa with agave nectar and whipped cream though they also have great ideas on how to elevate your cocoa here. Cocoa Bella is an everyday luxury that made even this winter grump happy to see temperatures in the 30s.
* * *
With National Margarita Day + National Tortilla Chip Day last weekend, tequilerias had their moment in the sun. Let’s continue that streak with the delicious paloma cocktail. Ruby red grapefuit juice + tequila are a winning combination with a refreshing dash of lime. Winning enough to make you forget spring hasn’t arrived yet…(okay, I’ll try to stop whining about the weather).
1 1/2 shots of tequila
juice of half a ruby grape fruit
1/2 shot of agave syrup or sugar syrup
splash of club soda + squeeze of fresh lime juice
Mix + serve in a tall glass over ice.
* * *
Maybe it’s me but I feel like J. Crew Factory has just gotten better and better. I love that I can scoop up last season J. Crew threads that I thought were too far gone to find a home in my closet. Talkin’ about you, beautiful scallop dress!
1. Teagan Ruffle Popover: I own this popover in ivory + pink and I’m not exaggerating when I say I wear each about once a week. Why? Because this popover looks just as good tucked into a pencil skirt with pumps as it does untucked with Minnie pants for casual weekend wear. You cannot go wrong!
2. Optic Dot Dress: Remember a second ago when I talked about finding last season J. Crew threads? I was 90% referring to this polka dot number! Its simple lines and pattern draw me in, it’s safe to say I have a major crush on this dress.
3. Rattan Clutch: While I’m known for being a bit of a bag lady Monday through Friday, on the weekends I find myself reaching for my clutches more and more. The wicker look and gold combination make me feel like I’ll be prancing around a resort. I don’t mind that feeling one bit.
4. Double Serge Cotton Mini: Pair it with Sperrys on cooler days and later with Jacks as the temperatures rise. I love its nautical vibe, it’s a great spring-to-summer piece.
5. Eyelet Mini: How many navy skirts can one closet hold? The limit does not exist.
6. Pastel Cluster Bracelet: I’m more partial to statement bracelets than necklaces and I adore all of the colors in this bauble (read: I have a minor love affair with pastels).
What are your favorite picks from J. Crew Factory?
* * *