A hug in a bowl. That’s totally what this Buffalo cauliflower soup is.
It’s everything you didn’t know you needed in your life until just now.
Lately, I’ve been craving cauliflower in a major way. I’ll eat it steamed with Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute. I’ll eat it raw dipped in tzatziki. You name it, I’ve tried it. I’m a cauliflower girl all the way but lately, it’s gotten pretty serious.
And with sweater weather in full swing, a warm bowl of soup is exactly what the doctor ordered. Alongside back-to-back episodes of Scream Queens. So GOOD! Gah. I can’t stop.
So…it’s my birthday at the end of the month. And I’m trying to swap out as many unhealthy ingredients for healthy alternatives as I can to, you know, attempt to adult . Without sacrificing taste. A girl’s gotta have her standards.
Thankfully, my cauliflower obsession is coming in handy because did you know cauliflower is a rockstar at making soup creamy?!?! Seriously. Who saw that one coming?
Not me. Not at all.
Cauliflower Obsession + Newfound Revelation + Chicken Wing True Love = Buffalo Cauliflower Soup.
It just had to happen. And then I could not shut up about it.
I think I sent this recipe to about 6 people. I was THAT
obnoxious excited about it.
Just try it and you’ll get it.
You can take the girl outta Buffalo…
- 1.5 tablespoon coconut oil
- Trader Joe's mirepoix
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into bite size pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Frank's Red Hot sauce to taste (I love spicy so I used about 4 tbsp)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- In a soup pot, heat the coconut oil under medium-low heat and add the mirepoix. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5-7 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the cauliflower and broth and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and let it cook, covered, about 15-20 minutes.
- Bring the pot to a safe temperature and then use an immersion blender to puree the soup. You want it to be at room temperature so when you start pureeing, scalding hot drops of soup don't hit you!
- If you want a chunky soup, scoop out about ½ of the veggies before pureeing.
- Let the soup simmer and then add Frank's Red Hot and the non-dairy milk. Stir to combine and enjoy!!
* * *