Happy Tuesday! We’re starting early this week with the cocktails and since you’re my kind of people, I figured you’d be okay with this change in posting schedule. This just means there’ll be another cocktail for Thursday. Two cocktails in 4 days? Heaven.
Maker’s Mark challenged me to put a fun twist on the Belmont Jewel, the official cocktail for this weekend’s Belmont Stakes and I couldn’t say “neigh.” Lemonade + bourbon + pomegranate make up this refreshing, sweet drink and even if you don’t consider yourself a bourbon fan, the Belmont Jewel may just change your mind.
I had fun horsing around with variations on the Belmont Jewel but this one made it to the winner’s circle. Three words: Sphere ice molds. I whipped up a big batch of fresh lemonade but before I added the pomegranate juice, I added pomegranate seeds to the bottom of the ice molds and then topped off with the lemonade. I put them in the freezer and added the remaining pomegranate juice, seeds and bourbon to the big batch cocktail. Voila! You have a delicious cocktail that keeps you feeling festive and ready for the races AND the fun ice spheres won’t dilute your bourbon. Put on your sundresses, break out the seersucker, polish off your fascinator and whip up a Belmont Jewel because life is good 👌🏇🏆
- 2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 7 cups water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2½ cups pomegranate juice (To be added later)
- 4 cups Maker's Mark bourbon (To be added later)
- Sprinkle of pomegranate seeds
- Pour the lemon juice, water and sugar in a large pitcher and stir to dissolve the sugar, whisk to combine ingredients. Add ice and lemon slices for garnish. Time for the ice spheres!
- In each ice mold, add a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds to cover the bottom of the mold.
- Pour in lemonade to the fill line and freeze for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight).
- Before taking the ice spheres out of the mold, let them sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes in order to easily remove.
- Back to the big batch lemonade, add in the pomegranate juice and Maker's Mark bourbon. Once again, stir to combine. Drink immediately (recommended method) or store in the fridge until ready to serve.
* * *
This post was sponsored by Maker’s Mark®. All opinions and product sentiments are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep the DC Girl in Pearls party going!