AKA my desk lunch for the last few weeks.
I’m an admitted condiment hoarder and Frank’s Red Hot is a hot sauce that MUST be in my pantry at all times. You can take the girl out of Buffalo…
When I went to Arizona with my family this spring, I packed a few books to read poolside, including Mayim’s Vegan Table. Mayim plays my favorite Big Bang Theory character, Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler and she actually wrote her dissertation (in real life) on my brother’s syndrome. So I love her two-fold. I picked up Vegan Table because in my daily life, I don’t particularly eat a lot of meat. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good steak but I don’t trust myself (or my diva smoke alarm) to prepare it myself. And I get really bored by chicken after awhile. I started keeping a food journal and realized I was seriously lacking in protein. No bueno, especially since I walk to and from work and go to Pure Barre and Platform almost every day. So I was curious to see what plant-based protein options existed and I love reading cookbooks for inspirations and to get the creative food juices (gross, let’s move on) going.
Mayim mentioned using beans as a primary source of protein for her and her little boys and the only beans I could think of were black beans. With the idea of creating a Mexican-themed chopped salad in mind, I headed to Trader Joe’s. And what do I spy next to black beans but garbanzo beans. And that’s when I had a bolt of inspiration.
Buffalo Roasted Chickpea Wraps.
They’re seriously the answer to all my desk lunch prayers lately. Let me list it out for you:
- Can be made in a big batch of Sundays meaning less time trying to figure out what to make at night and more time for blogging.
- An excellent source of protein that keeps me full and has helped put an end to my 3pm vending machine runs.
- One can of garbanzo beans at Trader Joe’s costs 79 cents and makes enough for a full week’s worth of lunches.
- Any excuse really to add Frank’s to something and I’m all over it.
- Are freaking delicious!!!
I made them into wraps for today’s post but this week I ran out of flatbread so these Buffalo Roasted Chickpea Wraps are turning into a salad. For my salad, I simply add about 1/4 cup of quinoa for a little extra something. I’m so excited for you to try this recipe because when I say I’ve eaten this for lunch for the last 3 weeks, this is not an exaggeration.
Okay enough rambling, scroll down for the recipe and enjoy!! If you make this recipe and love it, please let me know. And if you make it and are so compelled to post about it on Twitter, Instagram, etc. please tag me because I really want to know what you guys think. Actually, that applies for any recipe or cocktail.
Oh right, I was going to zip it…😬. I just get really excited sometimes, you guys.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can chickpeas (drained, rinsed + dried)
- 3-5 tbsp Frank's Red Hot (You do you based on your spice level, I'm a solid 5 tbsp kinda gal)
- 3 hearts of Romaine
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 5 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- Greek yogurt Ranch dressing
- Frank's Red Hot (optional for extra heat)
- In a skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chickpeas and Frank's, toss to thoroughly coat.
- Let them roast for about 7-9 minutes over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the chickpeas from the heat and mash maybe about ¼ of the chickpeas with a fork to add some texture.
- Prepare each flatbread with the chopped romaine, cucumber + tomatoes.
- Drizzle Ranch dressing on top and even some extra Frank's if the spirit moves you.
* * *