I’m calling it now. The drink of Summer 2017 will be the Dirty Shirley. Here’s exactly my thought process behind this very crucial decision. The Dirty Shirley:
- Can be easily made in large batches
- Only requires a few ingredients
- Inexpensive to make
- Cool and refreshing
- Who doesn’t love an excuse to buy maraschino cherries??
Shirley Temple “cocktails” hold a special place in my heart. Growing up when I would go out to dinner with my parents and it was a special occasion, I would order a Shirley Temple. It always felt so fancy and sophisticated and celebratory. I mean, there were bubbles and maraschino cherries. What more can a girl want?
Flash forward to years and years later when I realize that Shirley Temples are incredibly easy to make at home meaning you can make one whenever your heart desires. Oh, and you can add vodka to turn this mocktail into a Dirty Shirley cocktail. So that’s happening.
And good news: A Dirty Shirley perfectly complements chicken fingers and fries just like its mocktail sister did when we were 5 years old.
- 1 oz vodka
- 6 oz Sprite or 7-Up
- Splash of grenadine
- All the maraschino cherries you want
- Pour vodka over ice cubes in a tall glass.
- Fill the glass with Sprite and then add the splash of grenadine, stir to combine.
- Add maraschino cherries.
* * *