J.Crew Factory Camel Blazer (30% off right now with code “MOREPLZ” // The Shirt in Gunmetal Stripe (Last styled here. I also love wearing this shirt to work either layered underneath a sheath dress or tucked into a pencil skirt) // Faux Leather Leggings (aka the comfiest leggings EVER) // Nike Rose Gold Sneakers (Available in all sizes and only $65! They’re great for walking all over the city.)
Happy Monday! I had mentioned in Friday’s post that I’d be chatting a bit about my lack of blogging this year so here we go.
2018 has been kinda hectic for me so far. The year started off in a fever dream and all I wanted to do was stay under the covers in bed forever. It took about a week and a half to feel like myself again. And then I wiped out on the ice on my walkway. I carefully and so so slowly made it down my front steps…and then I took about 2 steps and landed right on my butt! I walked away with a bruise and a sprained wrist. Not exactly the best way to kick the year off. Having a string of bad luck left me feeling seriously behind the 8-ball and I’ve been struggling to catch up and get my life in gear. Have you ever felt so behind that you’re not even sure where to begin to catch up? That’s how I’ve been feeling lately so I finally turned to the very basics: I created a to-do list and broke everything I needed to take care of into blocks.
This weekend was the first weekend I really felt like I was 100% back to normal. My apartment is clean, I went to Trader Joe’s and stocked up (more on that below) and went on a long walk on Sunday since it was absolutely gorgeous outside! Not needing a jacket, scarf, hat and gloves – not to mention a zillion layers – was the best feeling. I wore my camel blazer as a jacket and it was perfect. I also was able to shoot new content and wrote a few blog posts that had been sitting in my Drafts folder for-ev-er. There’s nothing like a productive Sunday to get you feeling ready to take on Monday!
It’s been awhile since we’ve chatted so I thought I’d share what I’ve been loving lately. I’m writing this list stream of consciousness-style so get ready : )
- When I was in middle school, I loved The Babysitters Club books! On library day, I always made a beeline for them and devoured them within a day. So when I discovered a podcast called “The Babysitters Club Club,” I was pretty excited to take a trip down Memory Lane in Stoneybrook, Connecticut. And I can’t stop listening to it! Did you love the BSC books growing up?
- I picked up the cutest blackwatch plaid poncho for $18! Tuckernuck is having a sale on their sale, 30% off with code “BIGCHILL.” I can’t wait to wear it next month when my mom and I hit up the wineries! Expect to see it on the blog soon! Also love this red plaid poncho – also only $18!
- I discovered a few new items from Trader Joe’s that are quickly becoming weekly must-buys. I picked up their Hi-Protein Veggie Burger since I’m trying to shed holiday weight (plus the weight I gained the rest of the year) after seeing it on Trader Joe’s List on Instagram. I heated it up over medium heat in a skillet with olive oil until it was crispy on both sides. Then I used a spatula to crumble it up and added in a little bit more olive oil and a little bit of a taco seasoning packet and mixed to combine. Guys, it tastes like taco beef. I layered it in Tupperware with salsa and romaine lettuce on top for lunch and it was a delicious desk lunch. Officially in the work lunch rotation. I’m also loving their new fresh soups in the prepared foods section. I’ve stocked up on Organic Minestrone and Creamy Cauliflower for easy weeknight dinners. You can also add broccoli to the Creamy Cauliflower to get more veggies in. Also pick up their Lemon Elderflower Soda – it’s my new favorite mixer!
- Going to Snowshoe, WV was wild and wonderful. Getting out of DC for a weekend with my friends was exactly what I needed – we drank wine, went tubing (I’m really into extreme sports, you guys), played “Funemployed” and “What Do You Meme” and laughed so hard it hurt and I got my snow fix. The mountains were breathtaking and the snow on the trees made them look like they were glittering. Also having zero cell service was nice to unplug and just enjoy the moment.
- Do you guys check out people’s Instagram Story Highlights? When I did the IG Story poll for blog content a few weeks ago, most people wanted to see more DC-based content. I’ve been working on including that in upcoming posts but to give the people what they want sooner, I created a IG Story Highlight for my “DC Favorites” to share my favorite local spots, cool stores, etc. I have a few other ideas for Story Highlights like favorite Trader Joe’s products but wanted to know if that’s something you’d like to see!
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is SO good. I started it today and told myself “Okay, I’ll just watch one episode.” It was cute that I thought that. Two more episodes later and I finally tore myself away. It’s laugh-out-loud funny and Midge (the main character) but I also love the late 1950s wardrobe and hair styles. I’m trying to not binge-watch the rest of the episodes but let’s be honest, I’ll probably finish the first season by Thursday.
Have a wonderful day : )